There are some things to keep in mind when travelling to the Netherlands. The weather could be unpredictable and there are multiple other things to keep in mind when visiting our humble country.
If you travel often, you could probably dream your must-bring packing list. The most significant items to never leave at home or at your hotelroom:
Wallet: this should include your ID or Passport and take an extra copy to be secure.
Travel documents: Your visa documents (when applicable),travel and health insurance.
Medications: If you need mediation, take extra’s and copies of prescriptions.
Chargers and converters: In the Netherlands only plugs of type C and F are pluggable.
Depending on the weather, you may need layers, sunscreen, sunglasses, a raincoat or poncho, a hat or bug spray. Be sure to check the weather predictions before packing! When rain is predicted, think about bringing a waterproof bag, waterproof coat or poncho and closed shoes. Even –read especially- in the summer months a burst of rain is very common in the Netherlands.
The following items you will find for sale at a lot of shops throughout the country. Nevertheless, it could always be helpful to have these products for grasps when needed.
- Mini first aid kit
- Headphones (for a flight noise cancelling ones are especially recommended)
- Gum or mints
- Make up (if necessary)
- Change of clothes
- Antibacterial or baby wipes
- Liquids bag
- Contact lenses & travel size solution, or glasses
- Toothpaste & toothbrush
- Hair products
- Travel size shampoo, conditioner, body soap
- Razor & grooming kit
- Travel washcloth
- Journal & pens or coloring book &pencils
Three packing tips from locals
1. In the Netherlands, tap water is very clean and drinkable. A reusable water bottle is perfect to carry around since you could fill your bottle everywhere.
2. Because the territory of the Netherlands lies below sea level for the biggest part, the air could feel really dry. Be sure to pack lip balm, facial and body cream to keep your lips and skin hydrated.
3. If you plan on riding a bike: be sure to pack shoes and clothes which are bikeable. Miniskirts, flip-flops or long dresses will make the relaxed bike ride very uncomfortable.